A Journey With Table Tennis: Looking Forward & Back

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Looking Forward & Back

Leaving with the team tomorrow for Malacca/Batu Pahat for a table tennis trip cum holiday(I think). Looking forward to the trip because I think it will be a good time to see them bond together, especially so for the girls. For the boys, sadly, only a few of them are going. I am sure the girls who are going will enjoy it thoroughly, especially for those who really 'fought hard' to get permission from their parents to go for it. Also, I think that it would be a very good learning experience for them because they will be playing with good players over there and hopefully they can learn something from their M'sian counterparts. On the other hand, amidst all the fun, I do hope that they will have some discipline... don't want them to tarnish their school's reputation.

Talking about discipline, I am reminded of the past 2 training sessions which I had with them. 2 young and new players P and FY were there as well. I had taught both of them the proper technique for forehand, and though with me they each had managed to play at least a ball whereby there were at least 30 returns of forehand, their strokes were still not always correct and they had to be constantly reminded in order to get it correct. Hence, when I had to train the senior girls, I left them alone to train and told them to just practise the service and 1 return, then forget about the ball. Several times, I caught them continuing to hit the ball with their forehand totally messed up... so I gently reminded them for the first time to stop after 1 return. I also explained that it is because I do not want them to spoil their forehand stroke which I had taken quite a bit of time to get it there. Alas, they refused to follow instructions and once again, I reminded them, this time not so gently. They STILL refused to follow instructions. Alright... I deemed it was time for me to be harsh. I told them very sternly that if they were to continue to not follow instructions and in doing so 'spoil' their forehand stroke, then I would not be interested to train with them either. This time round, they decided to be good and follow the instruction.

The parents who were there were actually quite surprised that I was so stern with them and they even thought I was really angry. But no. I am not angry. I just want them to know 1. the basic strokes are very important and all the other things aren't important if they cannot get their basics right first 2. joining the team means they should be following instructions from the teachers in charge and coaches and not blatantly ignoring them and simply go ahead and do what they want 3. They are only pri 3 and pri 4 respectively and they DARED to defy instructions. If I do not give them the impression that discipline is a MUST in the team now, when shall I do it?

The following training, I was training with P. I wanted her to practise her footwork because she tends to 'fall' to the right when the ball is nearer to her right. Hence I asked her to work on her footwork. Just wanted her to get her legs there and posture right but not to hit the ball, as the problem with her was that her hand was always there before her body even got there, and she only moved her legs AFTER she had hit the ball, which obviously wouldn't work! Hence I told her NOT to hit the ball first, but just to get her legs there and posture correct. I stressed 'not to hit the ball'. Alas, she still hit it. I reminded her again 'DON'T hit the ball' and explained to her why I wanted her to do it that way. But she hit it again. Finally when it happened again for the 3rd time, I asked FY to train with me and told P straight in the face that I do not want to train with her if she is not going to obey instructions. She appeared quite upset and seemed to be fighting back tears(I am terribly experienced at knowing when people are fighting back tears =P ). After training for FY for a while, then I gave P another chance. I told her I would give her another chance to do the same thing again. She did NOT obey yet again. Fine. I walked over to the other table with the balls and just started training with the senior girls(they just arrived then) with a look to show her that I was displeased with her.

Now, this is really disturbing. A pri 4 who repeatedly refuses to follow instructions... did she not understand what I was trying to say? I do not think so. I speak slower when I speak to them and she DOES understand Chinese(and I spoke in English too). So is there a reason for her to not have understood?

I really dislike being so harsh with kids... but for their good I do it occassionally, in order to send the right message across. I do not yell at them either. I just give them the 'cold treatment'. I just hope that I don't have to do it again... ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home